forum1

Is the Cross an Idol?

Author
Olivia Lee
Date
2023-12-13 09:31
Views
Many people today regard the cross as a sacred symbol of the church. However, through the teachings of the Bible, the cross is merely an idolatry.

The Second Commandment

Exodus 20:4-5 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them…”

God ordered the second commandment to "prohibit idolatry" so that God's people would not fall into sin. We must keep this word because all God's commandments are given for the benefit of our souls. There is no saying that the cross is an exception among God's words not to make any figures.

Words of Warning about Idolatry

Leviticus 26:1 “Do not make idols or set up an image or a sacred stone for yourselves, and do not place a carved stone in your land to bow down before it. I am the Lord your God.”

In Leviticus, God once again told us not to worship idols and made it clear that the act of making and serving human-made idols will be cursed. The act of making a cross, making it and hanging it in our house or car, and possessing it as an accessory for the neck or arm, is an act of unconsciously acknowledging and worshipping that the cross has a divine power.

Jeremiah 10:2-5 This is what the Lord says: “Do not learn the ways of the nations … For the practices of the peoples are worthless;they cut a tree out of the forest, and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel. They adorn it with silver and gold; they fasten it with hammer and nails so it will not totter. Like a scarecrow in a cucumber field, their idols cannot speak; they must be carried because they cannot walk. Do not fear them;they can do no harm nor can they do any good.”

Since the cross is just an idol, it has no power or ability to save or protect us. Rather, the foolish act of making a cross denies God's ability and leads us to worship another god without our knowledge.

The Result of Idolatry

Deuteronomy 27:5 “Cursed is anyone who makes an idol—a thing detestable to the Lord, the work of skilled hands—and sets it up in secret…”

Any child of God wants to follow God's commandments and be blessed to go to heaven. The way to be blessed by God is to keep God's laws and commands. We want to be blessed to go to heaven, not those cursed by God. Therefore, a cross should not be made.

The Cross Is Definitely an Idol
By following God’s will to avoid idolatry, we will never lose sight of our salvation and draw closer to God as the kingdom of heaven approaches. Though many churches today do not heed God’s warning about idolatry, we must not follow the ways of the world, but stand firm in our faith until the end, just like the members of the early church and King Hezekiah did.

Looking forward to the day of glory, let us keep God’s command and revere only God, our true savior.

Total 16

• 2023-12-13 11:43

That's sure the cross reverence is idolatry according to the Bible. We must not make for ourselves an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below without exception.

• 2023-12-14 12:49

That's right. Crosses are idolatry, and it's a pity that most churches around us have crosses built up.

• 2023-12-13 13:45

Yes, the cross is an idol that we should not make or worship it. According to the Bible, God let us know to not make any forms on this earth.

• 2023-12-14 11:03

The only result of those who serve idols is a curse. Crosses are just idols. We should go to heaven by following the Bible.

• 2023-12-14 13:14

The thing which we must remember is the sacrifice of our God, not the cross. Only those who do not serve the cross is the man who follow God.

• 2023-12-14 13:43

Worshiping the cross is idolatry. A church that erects a cross cannot receive salvation.

• 2023-12-14 13:38

The only consequence of idolatry is the destruction!

• 2023-12-16 14:58

Today, most churches revere the cross.
    But, it is not the cross that save us.
    We should keep the Passover that God established by His precious blood for our salvation.

• 2023-12-18 13:35

The only consequence of idolatry is the destruction. We should know that the cross is an icon and not serve it.

• 2023-12-25 10:52

There are many reason to erect the Cross. For commemorate Jesus' sacrifice on the cross, as a symbol of the Church and to get comfort through cross when some faces difficult.
    However, these reasons are incorrect in aspect of God. God said not to make any image by thinking God and not to erect anything. And God said also the cross can do no harm nor do any good when we wear the cross on our neck. And, if some want to commemorate Jesus' sacrifice, you can do it by keeping Passover like Apostles in the age of Early Church.
    Anyway, there is no biblical reason to erect the Cross.

• 2023-12-25 12:10

At one time, I also considered the cross to be life. However, after studying the Bible properly at the World Mission Society Church of God, I learned that the cross symbolizes the sun god in ancient times. I was shocked. I realized that my faith had been cursed by Jesus and that I had been living a life of faith in vain. I have now received blessings, abandoned the cross, and am living a new life.

• 2023-12-25 13:29

God surely taught us that we should not make any forms. However, the churches in the world insist that the cross is an exception. Where is the Bible verses about the mention of the cross as a symbol of God or the church? According to the histories in the Bible as well as Christianity, we can clearly see that the cross originated from pagan worship. We should not add anything to the Bible or subtract to be blessed by God. That is why the World Mission Society Church of God does not worship or set up the cross inside or outside of the church. The only church that follows the God's teaching in this age is the World Mission Society Church of God!

• 2023-12-25 13:35

Today, many people think of the cross as a symbol of the church, but the Bible said not to make and serve idols.
    There is no saying that crosses are exceptions for idols. If you are a saint who believes in God like this, you should not do what God told you not to do.

• 2023-12-25 13:46

Setting up a cross and serving it is idolatry.

• 2023-12-25 13:48

If we are God's people, we must obey God's word.
    In other words, what God told you not to do should not be done.
    God told me not to make any idol and not to serve them.
    It is God who gives us blessings and salvation, not idols.
    Even if others make idols, we must follow God's teachings.

• 2024-02-14 04:26

Yes. According to the words of God, the Cross is idolatry. It's because God said we must not make a form of anything. The cross cannot be exceptional. There is a Church that does not revere nor have the cross in the world. The very church is the World Mission Society Church God which follows what the Bible says.